understanding media

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the forum for the Oxford Brookes University module U75102 Understanding Media.  The forum is currently closed.

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Global Village  (Read 4476 times)

ticketmaster

• View Profile
The Global Village
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:55:22 am »

McLuhan mentions the creation of a global village as he predicts a technology that will be an "extension of the consciousness". Many have interpreted this as McLuhan predicting the invention of the internet. Do you think that it was the internet that created the global village or was it the invention of another medium such as the tv or the phone? Or maybe was it when commercial airlines became popular?

Moriarty

• View Profile
Re: The Global Village
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 03:34:25 pm »

This is an interesting point to raise. I believe that you are on the right lines, but that there is no single thing which "created" the global village. I think that airlines, as you've stated, did help to introduce the idea of a global village. It was easier to travel further afield and with cheaper fares it was more accessible. The Internet, I would say, took this to a new level but in a fairly different way, where rather than having to travel physically, one could make imagine that they had access to another country, for instance through communicating with somebody from across the world on Facebook. While things such as emailing enabled this, the age of the social network has introduced real time conversations - and the concept of the global village arose because it feels as if everything is far more accessible and local than it previously did.

In addition to this, I think that money, and thus development, social status etc, plays a part in this. While a global village is viewed as a place with equal opportunities to gain information simultaneously, this is only true if the means to view this information are accessible, and on a global scale this may not be the case for people in less developed countries. Similarly on a local scale there are economic disparities even here in the UK, and some groups may lack access to certain mediums. If a family cannot afford internet access and satellite TV, for example, then they are less likely to be in contact with people from around the world through social networks, and have less access to news channels, to name but two examples.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 04:38:25 pm by Moriarty »

TracyBeakersMum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 01:52:25 pm »

I agree the increased usage and availability of commercial airlines and TV/telecoms from the early 50's has contributed to the notion of a 'global village'. But in agreeance with 'Moriarty', I think the 'Global Village' had no definitive medium from which it arose. Instead it was more a gradual collaboration of technology which increased the speed of communication. i.e. Satellite technology replaced the simple copper wire and the trans-atlantic airliner took the place of the boat to reach long distances quicker. We are now at a stage where communication is so fast that it is almost instant; we're talking metric time. Therefore the internet isn't the only example of a 'global village' but the best example because the speed at which internet users can access information or communicate is staggering. McLuhan states that the increased speed of communication and the ability of people to read about, spread, and react to global news quickly, forces us to become more involved with one another from various social groups and countries around the world and to be more aware of our global responsibilities. Therefore the internet is the best contender for allowing this. For example the use of social media, namely Twitter, allowed the collaboration of activists during the Arab Spring and eventually contributed to the overthrowing of dictatorships like that of Libya's under Colonel Gadaffi. This was an example of what was dubbed the 'Twitter Revolution'.

With this in mind, can anyone else think of another example where the 'Global Village' has managed to cause vast change, for both better or worse? Are notions such as the 'Twitter Revolution' positive for giving the oppressed a voice or does it cause unnecessary unrest?

soliviac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:59:59 am »

Interesting points and queries here,  “ticketmaster”.
My initial reaction to the creation of the Global Village would be to pinpoint ‘The Internet’. This is mainly due to McLuhan’s views on Technology and how new electronic interdependence has had an impact on how information is communicated over time.  However, I’d have to agree with ‘Moriarty’ and state that there was more than one influential factor that participated in the creation of The Global Village as opposed to a single invention such as airlines.
 McLuhan has explored the impact that the Internet has had on the creation of the Global Village and how it has restored participation and created multiple communication channels. In agreement with  ‘TracyBeakersMum’ (genius username by the way) I think that the Internet is the best example of the Global Village due to it’s multiple platforms and speed.
Personally, I’d like to go back to medieval times when interpersonal communication consisted of immediate interaction and there was equal access to information.
Who agrees?

Christinehb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 10:58:55 pm »

McLuhan is presenting that “media creates environments” and a global village is one way of look at the world as a huge environment affected by the media.  To answer the question about if it was the Internet that created the global village or if it was the invention of another medium such as the TV or the phone, I personally think that Internet has been the most important factor in creating the global village.  As Communication is one of the key concepts of created the global village, and the Internet makes it possible to communicate and share information all around the world in a fast way.  I would say the invention of TV and phone also has participated in this development even though TV is more a one-way communicator.  And yes airlines helped with this as well because it made the access to easier communication around the world.  You can reach the other side of the world in just a day, and that makes it easier to participate and co-operate with different countries and also get engaged with other cultures. 

I also agree with “Moriarty” about that a global village based on new technology will increase the gap between rich and poor in the world.  It will exclude some groups from the “the village” because they don’t have access to the new technology and can communicate with the rest of the world as people with everyday access to Internet can.  As we discussed in class one of the key concepts to a global village is that everyone has equal access to public information and everyone can ask questions & interact.  When people in less developed countries and with economical problems not can participate in this communication, it will be created diverses in the global village, and that will make a global utopia impossible.

thelittlemermaid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 12:12:31 pm »

I believe, like 'soliviac', my instinct is that the internet is the main reasoning behind the theory 'Global Village'. My reason for this is that the internet allows so many more forms of communication, business and lifestyle that no other piece of technology, like the phone or TV can do. Yes, the TV allows an element of business and communication through the news channels and broadcast much like the Radio but in terms of being an active audience member, the Internet is far more effective. This is because as a internet user, most of the time, excluding pop ups, go and find the information yourself forcing the idea of being an active audience not a passive member. Although most of the time this information is easily found, the activity in which you have to go through is not given to you straight away like the information displayed on a TV screen for example. To some extent, you have no power over what goes on on the TV, the only power you, as a audience member, is to decide which channel to change to.

I disagree with 'Moriaty' and 'Christinehb' about the theory 'Global Village' will increase the gap between the rich and poor because the increase of technology is higher than ever. In a recent article I read, the headline was 'More People Have Cell Phones Than Toilets, U.N. Study Shows'. This seems some what confusing and perhaps not right, but the fact is that more and more people from all different cultures and communities have access to technology in some way (even more than they do to toilets)! I also believe that in the countries that perhaps aren't able to be included in this theory, their community and way of life will not ever be concentrated around technology like, for example, this country is.
Pages: [1]