Directed Study Week
Read through the Assignment 2: Case Study brief and the Assessment Sheet found in the Module Handbook.
Main assignment objective: to allow you the opportunity to explore in greater depth an aspect of the media you are particularly interested in. During your directed study week complete the following:
1. Choose either the Vehicle Strand or Environment Strand to focus on and conduct the following investigation.
If you have chosen the Vehicle Strand please:
- Identify a theory to research e.g. representation, genre, narrative.
- Choose key texts about that theory and begin to research it, noting key terminology and theorists. Note if you want to achieve an A grade you need to reference at least 5 different theoretical texts.
- Identify a specific artefact from the media to apply your theory to e.g. a particular film, a tv episode, an advert, a cartoon.
- Consider why the artefact and the theory relate together.
If you have chosen the Environment Strand please:
- Identify one of McLuhan’s probes to research e.g. hot/cool media, visual/acoustic space, discarnate man.
- Choose key texts about the probe and begin to research it, noting key terminology. Note, you will need to source texts from McLuhan and also wider theoretical writings about his probe. If you want to achieve an A grade you need to reference at least 5 different theoretical texts.
- Identify a specific medium or communication technology to apply the probe to e.g. smart phones, YouTube, Facebook.
- Consider why the medium and the probe relate together.
2. Bring your reading and research to Week 9.
If you want to arrange a tutorial about the Case Study, please or request one after a seminar session.
Before the Next Class You Need To...
(1) Read Branston and Stafford (2010), Ch. 13: 'Documentary and "Reality" Debates'.
If you're stuck or confused, post your problem on the Module Forum or .